Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Radical Radicchio

photo by Renee Anjanette Kalmar

Ok. this stuff really blew me away when I stumbled across it at the Farmer's Market last week.  I am more accustomed to the wilty round balls of radicchio that are usually hanging around in dejected looking clumps of 3 or 4 at the grocery store.  They resemble teenagers hanging out in a 7-11 parking lot, all sullen and bitter.  These varieties were so incredibly beautiful I couldn't resist them.  Renee and I scooped them up, took them back to the studio and shot them right away.  Then I developed this little recipe for lunch time.
photo by Renee Anjanette Kalmar

Radicchio can be slightly tough and bitter raw.  I slice it pretty thin and wilted it with olive oil to cut the bitterness and help with the texture.  The result was awesome!

Radicchio Tangerine Salad

Salad:
2-3 heads of Radicchio, sliced thin
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounces sheep's milk gouda, shaved
4 tangerines, supremed



Dressing:
Juice of two tangerines
1tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
pinch sea salt
pinch fresh ground pepper

Preparation

For Dressing:

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until thoroughly incorporated

For Salad:

Heat olive oil in a medium skillet of medium high heat.  Add radicchio and toss constantly with tongs for about a minute or until slightly wilted.  Remove raddiccio from heat and toss in a large bowl with remaining ingredients and dressing.  

Tweet This

2 comments:

  1. This recipe was fabulous...and I've never seen such beautiful Radicchio!!!
    Santa Monica Farmer's Market Wed. is like heaven:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm always looking for a good radicchio recipe, they are few and far between. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete