Monday, February 14, 2011

Cauliflower Brain Bake

photo by Renee Anjanette Kalmar


My sister and I used to call cauliflower Brain Plant and fancied ourselves zombies when forced to eat it.    Turns out this veg doesn't reanimate dead human flesh on it's own, but it CAN make a nifty model of a brain as detailed here.  These days I generally just grill it up and eat it, no persuasion required.



When I found these orange beauties at the farmer's market, I couldn't resist.  I roasted them up with some stuff we had lying around the studio.  Simple and delicious.

Simple Roasted Cauliflower

1 pound cauliflower
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 cup raw cashews, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
Sea salt to taste

Heat oven to 450 degrees.  Mix first five ingredients in a medium bowl and toss to combine.  Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.  Add cranberries and roast for an additional 8-10 minutes.  
Tweet This

3 comments:

  1. I need to eat A LOT more cauliflower, as I can use all the help I can get!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I am making it tonight. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMM Sounds like a great recipe. I'm going to bring it to my book club dinner and discussion group.

    Here I labored under the illusion that brain food was any old protein. So much for biochemistry. It's really all about the look.

    ReplyDelete